Chocolate can be quite addictive, especially since most chocolate (and chocolate-based desserts) are made with refined sugar. However, in my humble opinion, an occasional good chocolate treat is one of life’s simple pleasures, especially when it’s homemade with wholesome ingredients. These delightful little cupcakes are soaked for optimal nutrition and contain pure organic fair-trade cocoa powder and wholesome pure honey. So if you have a special occasion to celebrate, whip-up a batch of these little beauties and enjoy the sweet smiles!
- 1 1/4 cup organic whole spelt flour
- 1/2 cup organic plain Kefir
- 1/2 cup water, plus 1 tbsp
- 5 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/3 cup pure organic maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened organic fair-trade cocoa powder
- 1 pinch of stevia powder extract (optional, adds a touch more sweetness)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 large egg
- Add above ingredients to a large ceramic (or glass) mixing bowl and thoroughly combine.
- Cover the bowl and place it in a warm area of your kitchen for 12-24 hours.
- Once soaking time is completed, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Using a large wire whisk, stir melted butter into soaked batter and thoroughly combine.
- Then add maple syrup, vanilla extract and cocoa powder; whisk until well blended.
- Finally, whisk in stevia powder, baking soda, salt and egg; mixing until no lumps remain.
- Using a spoon or measuring cup, scoop cake batter into a pre-lined 12-cup muffin pan; filling each cup no more than 2/3 full.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for five minutes before removing from muffin pan and then place on a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
- Top with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting or a heaping dollop of homemade whipped cream and a sprinkling of dark chocolate shavings. This scrumptious cupcake is certain to make any day special! (Recipe inspired by Cooking God’s Way.)
If you're new to soaking, check out How to Soak Grains for Optimal Nutrition.