The perfect comfort food on a rainy day or chilly winter’s night, this Rustic Veggie Soup is a colorful rainbow of healthy, savory flavor. This simply scrumptious soup makes it easy to enjoy your veggies, especially when you toss in some leftover roast chicken or pulled pork. Or one of my personal favorites, leftover spicy grilled shrimp. (Wowie, it’s so good!)
Bonus, it’s so easy to make! All it takes is a little chopping and simmering, and in less than 30 minutes, “Soups On!” To save time, I like to use pre-cut butternut squash. My local Trader Joe’s has adorable crinkle-cut butternut squash that makes the dish even more appealing. I also use pre-cut organic kale; a big bag from Costco makes it easy to use for this recipe and more!
This tasty, hearty meal is definitely a family favorite, which is why you’ll be seeing this recipe in my meal plan rotations over at The Better Mom blog.
P.S. The beauty of this recipe is also its versatility. The fire-roasted diced tomatoes paired with homemade chicken stock and a classic mirepoix of diced onion, carrots and celery form a flavorful base from which you can add your favorite seasonal veggies for a delicious soup personalized for you!
- 1 Tbsp ghee
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup fine-diced sweet onion
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
- 5 cups homemade chicken stock
- 1 (14oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups cubed Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning blend
- 3 cups firm-packed chopped kale leaves
- In a large stock pot (or dutch oven) over medium-high heat, add the ghee and olive oil. Then, add the onion, carrots and celery. Sauté until onion begins to soften (about 2-3 minutes). Add the garlic and mushrooms, continuing to sauté until mushrooms soften (about 1-2 minutes).
- Next, add the chicken stock, dice tomatoes, potatoes, butternut squash, salt and Italian seasoning. Turn the heat up to high to bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook soup 5 minutes. Then, add the kale and allow soup to simmer an additional 15 minutes, or until potatoes and butternut squash are fork tender.
- This flavorful veggie soup is delicious on its own, or toss in some leftover roast chicken, pulled pork or grilled shrimp during the last 5 minutes of cook time for an even heartier meal!