This quick-n-easy Slow Cooker Chicken Verde is by far one of the easiest and tastiest meals your whole family will love! If you haven’t added this classic dish to your meal plan rotation, it’s time to dust off your slow cooker and get this flavorful meal on the table pronto!
My boys literally ask me to add this tasty dish to my meal plans every week. (Seriously!) Personally, I love this recipe because it’s not only delicious and healthy – it’s super easy to make! That’s why, it’s one of my favorite go-to recipes when having guests over for dinner! Plus, it’s economical too! (But, shh! no one will ever guess that, all your friends and family will know is that it tastes great!)
My inspiration for this recipe comes from my dear friend Debra at Worth Cooking. And although Debra’s original recipe is fantastic, I tweaked it a bit by adding sliced bell peppers and some additional savory seasonings to give the chicken a more fajita-like flavor. Yum!
I typically serve this flavorful dish with a side of organic flour tortillas for the guys (since they’re not grain-free) and I enjoy it as lettuce wraps (as shown in the photos) … or even better, over a steaming bed of Seasoned Cauliflower Rice, or roasted Spaghetti Squash Noodles. So good!
P.S. If you’re making this recipe for a dinner party, simple double or triple it. I like to offer both soft Bibb lettuce leaves and also warmed tortillas (for the non-GF crowd). And of course, a complete spread of toppings … lettuce, fresh minced cilantro, diced tomatoes, guacamole, shredded grassfed cheese … these are just a few ideas for topping this tasty dish. (And of course, extra salsa verde.) Enjoy!
- 1 large sweet onion
- 2.5 to 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I use ButcherBox)
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 (12oz) jar Salsa Verde (I use Trader Joe's Hatch Salsa)
- 2 red bell peppers (or use a combination of red and yellow peppers)
- Optional: Bibb lettuce leaves to make wraps
- Cut the ends off of the onion and then slice into five thick slices. Place in the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Place the chicken thighs on top of the onion. In a small bowl, combine the seasonings and evenly distribute the seasoning mix across the top of the chicken.
- Then, evenly spoon the jar of salsa verde over the top of the seasoned chicken.
- Slice the red bell peppers into thick slices; discard the seeds and stem. You can either - place the sliced pepper over the salsa and cook with the chicken for very soft pepper slices – or add the sliced peppers during the last hour of cook time to enjoy them al dente.
- Cover and cook on high 4-5 hours or on low 6-7 hours. (Since some slow cookers cook faster than others, be sure to check the chicken at the 4 hour mark; it's done when it shreds easily with a fork.)
- When chicken is done, use a slotted spoon to move the peppers to the side and carefully remove just the chicken and place it on a large platter. Use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Remove the pepper and onion slices and place on a serving plate.
- Serve the chicken & veggies with large Bibb lettuce leaves to make lettuce wraps. Top with your favorite fajita toppings, such as pico de gallo, diced avocado, fresh minced cilantro, etc. Enjoy!
Recipe Variation: Create amazingly delicious Chicken Fajita Bowls by using seasoned cauliflower rice (if grain-free) or cilantro rice (if gluten-free) as the base. Then, top it with the chicken, veggies, minced fresh cilantro and other favorite toppings.
My new cookbook is here! With more than 100 irresistible recipes, Everyday Grain-Free Baking teaches you how easy it is to create grain-free, dairy-free versions of all your family’s favorite baked goods.
From breads, biscuits and muffins to savory snacks and decadent treats, you’ll find step-by-step instructions, beautiful color photographs and helpful tips & tidbits to make all of your GF baking adventures a delicious success!