Almond Flour Biscuits (GF)

uhlb-buy-728x90
These grain-free biscuits are delicious topped with butter, raw honey or homemade jam.

Almond flour is a good source of protein and is high in dietary fiber, vitamin E, calcium, riboflavin, copper, zinc and magnesium. If you’re living grain-free/gluten-free, it’s important to choose nutritionally dense options such as almond flour and coconut flour, in contrast to baking with gluten-free flours that contain nutritionally-poor ingredients like white rice flour, tapioca flour and potato starch.

The only drawback is the cost, as blanched almond flour can be quite expensive. However, you can save money by purchasing it online, or by joining a co-op. For money-saving tips and techniques to help trim your food budget, click here.

For a classic-looking biscuit, scoop a large spoonful of batter into your hands and roll into a ball about the size of an apricot. Then place the dough balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet and gently flatten using the palm of your hand. Pretty, healthy and delicious – a winning trio!

P.S. This popular grain-free biscuit recipe made it on the “Top 10 Reader Favorites of 2012!”

Looking for more scrumptious blanched almond flour recipes?

Here are a few readers favorites…
• Fluffy Little Almond Flour Pancakes(GF)
• Cinnamon Streusel Muffins(GF)
• Our Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies(GF)
• Great Grain-Free Crackers(GF)

Almond Flour Biscuits

Yield: 8 biscuits

Almond Flour Biscuits

• 2 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/8 tsp baking powder
  • 3 tbsp butter, melted (or melted coconut oil)
  • 1 tbsp pure honey (I prefer sage honey due to its mild flavor)
  • 3 tbsp cultured buttermilk (or plain almond or coconut milk, see note below)
  • 2 large eggs

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together melted butter and honey, until smooth. Add the buttermilk and eggs, whisking together until well combined. Using a spoon, stir the wet mixture into the dry mixture until thoroughly combined.
  3. For quick and easy drop biscuits: Drop biscuit dough by large spoonfuls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, placing the biscuits approximately two-inches apart.
  4. For classic-style rolled-looking biscuits: Scoop a large spoonful of batter into your hands and roll into a ball about the size of an apricot. Then place the dough balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet and gently flatten using the palm of your hand.
  5. Bake about 15 minutes, until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Serve warm with butter, raw honey or homemade jam.

Notes

If using a non-dairy milk, be sure to add 1/4 tsp of apple cider vinegar to the milk to increase it's acidity. This will help the biscuits to rise better.

e7285a0b-2a5d-451f-b8e3-e1c63e78ae95

*Disclosure: If you opt to purchase using the affiliate links in this post, a small portion of the sale goes to support The Nourishing Home at no additional cost to you. There is no obligation to purchase, but if you do, you are helping to support the free resources, meal plans and recipes here at The Nourishing Home. Thank you!

Comments

1. Sheridan says

Your biscuits (or scones as we call them here in Australia) are quite nice! I made them this evening to accompany our beef chilli and salad, so I omitted the honey to give them a more savoury flavour. They were quick and easy to make, I think I will make them more often in the future to accompany things like soups and stews. :)

• Kelly says

Thank you, Sheridan, for always taking time to leave a kind note! So glad you enjoyed them. You can also add some fresh herbs to them for more savory biscuits to accompany dinners. We use these with chili often as well! Lots of blessings, Kelly :)

2. Jennifer says

Kelly,

Thank you so much for the wonderful recipe. I have been 80% grain free and 100% gluten free since January. I have been trying to get the kids on board but it has been difficult. This is the first “baked good” recipe that they have actually liked. I had to cut them off this morning. ;) I enjoyed them last night with some yummy chili I made in the crock-pot. I am also dairy free so I used a coconut/almond milk blend and a couple of drops of lemon juice for the buttermilk effect. Thanks again!

• Kelly says

Wonderful, Jennifer! So glad you and your kids enjoyed these! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a kind note – great option to use almond milk with a tad of lemon juice – very smart! Lots of blessings, Kelly :)

3. Elizabeth says

kelly,

i was wondering if these freeze well and if there is a particular method that works the best. thanks you so much, i love your recipes
    elizabeth

• Kelly says

Thanks, Elizabeth! I appreciate your kind words. You can freeze these (I recommend cutting them in half and then put them back together and freeze). But you have to reheat on a really low setting on your toaster oven – 150 to 200 degrees. Once you can separate the halves, then you can toast them for a quick minute. They’re not as great as the day you bake them fresh from the oven, but they’re still tasty. :) Blessings, Kelly

• Susan says

Hi Kelly

Still loving your blog…..you have such a beautiful ministry going on here, and I always feel such peace when I drop in for a little while. I especially love reading the comments sections; the conversations are a great source of encouragement….and wow, you ALWAYS bless others when you answer their questions.

Any old how, I have a biscuit question…..above, Elizabeth asked about freezing these biscuits once cooked. But I was wondering if they freeze okay before they are cooked? Ususally, when I make biscuits or cookies (using wheat flour), I roll them into separate cookie balls and freeze them, then just take the amount that I plan to cook out of the freezer and they’re good to bake. Would that method work with almond flour biscuits?

Bless you heaps,
        Susan

P.S. Sorry if you’ve answered this question about almond flour in another post!

Hi, Susan! Thank you so much for your kind words. It is a joy to know that you can feel the encouragement here – all thanks to the Lord! As far as freezing the biscuit dough. I haven’t tried it. I do know from experience though that almond flour can get a little soggy when it goes from freezer to thawing (of course that is the cooked version I’m speaking of). So I’d have to experiment to know for sure. You could always freeze half of the batch as a test and bake other half right away. That way, if they aren’t as scrumptious, you haven’t wasted an entire batch. Hopefully, I’m making sense :) Blessings, Kelly

4. Darlene says

These biscuits are fantastic! I just made breakfast sandwiches for my husband & I with these. How wonderful to know you can make a healthy version of the fast-food staples. Next time I’ll add some grated cheese & serve w/soup! Thank you so much

• Kelly says

Wonderful, Darlene! So glad you and your family enjoyed these and can’t agree with you more about recreating fast-food into delicious and healthy real food! Thanks for taking the time to leave a kind note! Lots of blessings to you, Kelly :)

5. Stacey says

I was wondering, would these work to make chicken and dumplings? I am looking for an alternative to white flour dumplings and not have to buy too much more than I already have here at home, and I have almond flour :) Thank you for your help with this!

• Kelly says

You are not the first one to wonder about that. I plan to try these out in my Chicken and Dumplings Recipe to see if they’ll work. I think if they are in a more baked environment like this recipe, they’ll work. Traditional dumplings are submerged in a gravy-like sauce and I don’t think they’d do well in that environment. :) Blessings, Kelly

• Stacey says

I also asked on FB and found one of my friends uses AF for her dumplings, instead of regular biscuits and she says they turn out great :)

• Kelly says

Awesome, thanks for letting me know. I am definitely going to give this recipe a try in my Chicken and Veggies w/Dumplings recipe :)

6. Christina Stone says

I made this for Christmas day with paleo sausage gravy with coconut milk, and it was good. ONe has to get use to the difference and these biscuits are more substantial then the white flour variety, and a welcome change. Appreciate your sharing, and looking forward to trying more things on your website.

• Kelly says

Thanks, Christina! So glad you enjoyed these as you celebrated Christmas with your family! Hope it was a blessed time together! :) Kelly

7. Bebe says

I pinned this recipe last week and we just finished devouring these tonight. I doubled it so there would be two for everyone and I inadvertently added an extra tablespoon of kefir (we were out of buttermilk) and the dough was a bit wet so I added a little coconut flour (because I knew it would only take a wee bit). They turned out beautiful and tasty but I forgot how FILLING almond flour is! One is sufficient, two provide that ate-too-much-at-Thanksgiving feeling! Keeper, this one. Thanks for your effort in coming up with a great grain-free biscuit recipe. :)

• Kelly says

So glad you enjoyed these, Bebe! That’s always a great idea for absorbing extra wetness – coconut flour is such a sponge! Appreciate you taking the time to leave a kind note! Blessings, Kelly :)

8. Laura says

I am wanting to try this recipe. Could anyone suggest what I could use as a replacement for the eggs? I am celiac and egg sensitive and having trouble finding a almond flour recipe without eggs.

9. Michelle says

Wow!!! My first baked recipe with almond flour. Cut recipe in half because I didn’t think kids would eat them but boy was I wrong! My seven year old used the word “amazing” to describe. Great. Thanks!!!!!!

aww, that just melts my heart! what a blessing! thank you SO much for taking the time to leave a kind note! so glad you and your little ones enjoyed these too! :)

10. Dawn says

I can’t wait to try these! Does it have to be blanched almond flour or would regular almond flour work? I happen to already have regular on hand. Also, do you think it would be ok to sub coconut nectar for the honey? Thanks for sharing!

Hi, Dawn. Since the recipe was specifically made with blanched almond flour, which does behave quite differently that almond meal, I would caution that these may be a bit dense and heavy if almond meal is used. As far as the coconut nectar, that should not cause any issue. Lots of blessings, Kelly :)

11. Mary says

Just made these today here in Colorado..very tasty but don’t look anything
    Like your pictures. I used almond milk and honey and coconut oil
    The almond flour is homemade not blanched…could that be the difference?
    I like the idea of a breakfast sandwich and if there are any left will try in the morning!
    Thanks for sharing
    Mary

Hi, Mary. Apologies for the delay in responding. We were on a fun camping trip. Regarding your question, substituting ingredients can make a big difference in the outcome. Also I find homemade blanched almond flour just isn’t as fine of grind, so although it does make wonderful recipes, they often have to be adjusted because of this factor. Glad they were tasty despite the fact they didn’t match up with my photos. Many blessings, Kelly

12. Crysee says

Just made these. They were awesome, but didn’t fluff up the way yours did. I followed the recipe to the letter (I also used the same brand of blanched almond flour). Could it be the butter? I used country crock. Also, I keep the almond flour in the fridge. Could that be it? Thanks for the recipe. I LOVE your site! I’m new here, and I’ve already made 3 of your recipes. The almond flour pancakes were scrumptious!

Hi, Crysee. Country crock is not butter. I know that may sound like I’m being butter snob (LOL) and I don’t mean to be, but all margarines and other butter-substitute products are not real foods and because I care about YOU, I want to encourage you to stick to real wholesome foods like pure butter. You will find this recipe works wonderfully with pure butter (or pure coconut oil). Also, I always recommend that you use room temp almond flour for baking as that also will affect the outcome of your baked goods. (In fact, all flour for baking should be room temp.) I store about a week’s worth of blanched almond flour in my pantry in a tightly sealed container, and keep the rest in the freezer. Then, I simply replenish my pantry storage container as I run through it. That way, I always have room temp flour on hand. Hope this helps. Lots of blessings, Kelly :)

• Crysee says

Omg, Kelly I couldn’t stop laughing at your “butter snob” comment. LOL. But you’re right about the country crock. I checked the tub and it said margarine (whoops). I have pure coconut oil too but didn’t use it because it’s 120 calories per tablespoon. By comparison, the country crock was only 50. But…..if it’s gonna make the biscuits flat, I’d rather use the oil so they can fluff up. Thanks for the quick response and for the tip on storing the almond flour.

13. Jessica says

Hi Kelly,
    I have written you once before, but just wanted to tell you how much I love your site still! Anyways, I rolled out this biscuit dough to use on top of a chicken pot pie and it performed beautifully.. I started out with foil on top as to not have it brown to fast. I always use a little xanthan gum, but not sure if it was even needed. It was great!! Your website is such a blessing!

Hi, Jessica! You are SO sweet! Yes, I so appreciate your encouraging words. Thank you for taking the time to share this wonderful idea. I’ve wondered about using this for pot-pie and I’m so happy to hear it worked so well. Thanks again! Lots of blessings to you, :) Kelly

14. Mel says

These are great! I am diabetic Type II on a low carb diet and it is nice to be able to eat biscuits again!!! Along with some almond flour gravy, it made a fantastic dinner. These taste like they would make great cornbread also. Will try that soon.

Thanks for the site and the recipes

Hi, Mel! So glad you enjoyed these. Yes, almond flour is a wonderful low carb, high protein flour that is a great option for diabetics and those following a gluten-free, grain-free lifestyle. Thank you for taking the time to leave a kind note! Lots of blessings, Kelly :)

I am going to try these. My son is dairy free. How do you use the lemon juice and almond milk? Do you use 1t/C and mix those together first and then add to the other liquid? Also can you freeze the dough? Any suggestions on the best method?

Hi, Rebecca. Thanks for your question. I’m assuming your speaking about some of the reader comments about making dairy-free buttermilk. You can use almond milk or coconut milk for this recipe without adding lemon juice, but some readers do enjoy the tang-factor and so they add a few drops of lemon juice (or raw vinegar) to their coconut milk or almond milk. Here’s a link that explains how to make dairy-free buttermilk: http://thecoconutmama.com/2012/11/dairy-free-buttermilk-replacement/. I hope this helps. Many blessings to you and your son, Kelly :)

16. Audrea says

Hi Kelly! This recipe looks great. I plan to try it tomorrow. I’m in the process of completely switching to a gluten free diet. I am curious about the number of biscuits this recipe makes. I tend to count calories…
    Thank you very much and great site!!

Audrea from Sonoma County, Ca.

17. Amy says

I halved this recipe using one egg and a bit over a cup of almond flour (all i had left didn’t want to go to store) and about a tablespoon of coconut flour. (I added all the butter and it seemed a bit runny)..Also used maple syrup instead of honey. With a bit of jam quite tasty..

18. Bethany says

Hi. I made half a recipe b/c I live alone and wasn’t ‘t sure how they would hold up. They are so good. Thanks for the recipe. I’m also dairy free but did’t want to open a box of almond milk for just a few tablespoons so I soaked a bit of coconut meal in hot water and used that for the milk. Loved the texture and one was a perfect compliment for a Noel of tomato soup. Can’t wait for breakfast tomorrow!!

That’s terrific, Bethany! Thanks so much for sharing. So glad you found these biscuits tasty! Appreciate you taking the time to leave a kind note! Blessings, Kelly

19. Sarah says

This was very delicious and perfect! I added cranberries, and it was amazing. I recently started making almond milk. Now I finally know what to do with all the left over pulp/almond flour :) Thank you!!

20. Bettina Hudson says

Well, all I have is the Bob red mill flour (un blanched) which I prefer. But how do I modify the recipe then?

In general, there is not a method necessary to modify a recipe calling for blanched almond flour when replacing with almond meal. It will just result in a more dense, heavier baked good. This is due to the skins being left intact. You could compare it to white vs. wheat flour – white flour is lighter and fluffier, whereas wheat flour is heavier and more dense. So if you enjoy the heavier taste and texture of almond meal, blanched almond flour recipes will work with almond meal, but they will not be as light and fluffy. Blessings, Kelly :)

21. bettina hudson says

I am a little disappointed that you said nothing needed to be modified. They immediately burned and now I know that I love the recipe (I will not concede to stripped down almond flour, because we lose fiber and nutrients that way) but when I make it again the oven temperature needs to be diminished by at least 25 degrees. But my hubby still loved them.

22. Debra Grossman says

Hi Kelly – Just took buscuits out of oven…..came out little flat, not flaky in middle. I used coconut oil, no honey…otherwise followed to the letter…don’t know …any suggestions? I’m following gluten free and no sugar diet right now. Thanks!!

Hi, Debra. Are you using blanched almond flour (almonds fine ground without the skins)? Biscuits made with almond meal (ground almonds with the skins intact) are much more dense and do not rise well. The other issue would be that by removing the honey the moisture content was reduced. I haven’t tried these without honey, but my best guess would be to increase the milk by 2-3 tsp to make up for the lack of moisture from the honey. And, if you didn’t use buttermilk there wasn’t an acid to help with the rise. If using coconut milk, add 1/4 tsp of vinegar to remedy that.

Also, it’s always good to periodically check your baking soda to be sure it’s fresh. You can do this by placing a little baking soda on your counter and place one small drop of vinegar on it. If the baking soda immediately vigorously fizzes-up, it’s good. If it does give a good fizzy foam, it’s time to replace it. Hope these tips help. Blessings, Kelly

My husband and I started a grain free diet this morning and kicked off with this biscuit recipe. We used almond meal but everything else was the same. We LOVED it!! Can’t wait to have them again and once we are more comfortable with the diet start playing with the recipe for a more savory biscuit. Thank you for helping us off to a great start!

You are so welcome! Best to you as you begin this new journey of grain-free living. Remember, to take it slow. Small steps forward lead to lasting change and also help guard against becoming overwhelmed. Blessings, Kelly :)

24. ginny says

Just put these in the oven on a chilly London morning. Cannot wait to try them. Just licked the batter off of my finger and it was delicious!! Love your blog!

Thanks, Ginny! Wish I was there – London is such a beautiful fun place! Enjoy! And thank you for taking the time to leave a kind note! :)

25. Ryanna says

Thank you so much for a yummy biscuit recipe. I made them dairy free, substituting melted palm shortening for the butter and they turned out well. The dough for mine was quite damp, I couldn’t roll it, so I just scooped it with an ice cream scoop and it worked great! I see in the comments that people have used this with chicken and dumplings. I was thinking it would make a great fruit cobbler topping. Has anyone tried that yet?