Wraps (a.k.a. Roll-Ups) are a tasty, fun and attractive alternative to the traditional sandwich. And they’re also a fun and frugal way to repurpose dinner leftovers!
We love “the wrap” – they make a great lunch/lunchbox option and a delicious, nutritious snack. In fact, my kids have eaten foods they normally turn down, when I roll it up in a tortilla wrap! Apparently, the cute little roll-up makes everything look and taste yummier!
Below are a few of our favorite healthy wrap recipes, as well as a lot more ideas for real food wrapping … Enjoy!
A healthy wrap begins with a nutritious tortilla …
Below are a few options for making your own homemade tortillas:
• Homemade Soaked Tortillas
• Grain-Free Tortillas: (I haven’t tried these yet, but they look yummy!)
–Almond Flour Tortillas
–Egg-Free & GF Tortillas
Wrapping tips …
• A warm tortilla is generally easier to roll-up than a cold one, and is less likely to break or tear. So once you’ve got the ingredients ready for your wrap, heat a skillet over medium heat and slightly warm the tortilla on both sides. Then add your wrap ingredients and roll, following additional tips below.
• To help “seal” the tortilla, include some form of spread as a base layer (like mayo, cream cheese, nut butter, etc.). Then add your wrap ingredients making sure to leave about one inch of one side of your tortilla free of heavy ingredients. Start rolling on the side with ingredients, so you end the roll-up on the side with spread-only in order to help seal it.
• Once you’ve finished rolling-up your wrap, gently squeeze it with cupped hands, like a sushi chef does with a sushi roll.
More delicious wrap ideas …
In addition to the recipes provided below, the following are more ideas for creating delicious, nutritious wraps/roll-ups …
• BLAT: Spread tortilla with mayo and add bacon, lettuce, avocado and tomato
• Philly Cheese Steak: Spread tortilla with mayo or spicy mustard and add thinly sliced
steak, sautéed onion and raw Swiss cheese
• Crunchy Veggie: Spread tortilla with mayo or cream cheese and add your favorite raw
veggies like shredded carrot, zucchini, spinach, broccoli, cucumber, etc.
• Taco Salad: Spread tortilla with refried beans and/or guacamole; then add chopped lettuce, grated raw cheese and seasoned meat.
• Grilled Chicken Salad
• Egg Salad, Tuna Salad or Salmon Salad