It’s a wrap! Sweet & savory roll-ups your whole family will enjoy! (GF Option)

Clockwise from top: Greek Salad Wrap, Banana Nut Butter Roll-Up, Turkey Spinach Wrap and Strawberry Cream Roll-Up

Wraps (a.k.a. Roll-Ups) are a tasty, fun and attractive alternative to the traditional sandwich. And they’re also a fun and frugal way to repurpose dinner leftovers!

We love “the wrap” – they make a great lunch/lunchbox option and a delicious, nutritious snack. In fact, my kids have eaten foods they normally turn down, when I roll it up in a tortilla wrap! Apparently, the cute little roll-up makes everything look and taste yummier!

Below are a few of our favorite healthy wrap recipes, as well as a lot more ideas for real food wrapping … Enjoy!

A healthy wrap begins with a nutritious tortilla …
Below are a few options for making your own homemade tortillas:
Homemade Soaked Tortillas
• Grain-Free Tortillas:
  –Almond Flour Tortillas
  –Egg-Free & GF Tortillas

Wrapping tips …
• A warm tortilla is generally easier to roll-up than a cold one, and is less likely to break or tear. So once you’ve got the ingredients ready for your wrap, heat a skillet over medium heat and slightly warm the tortilla on both sides. Then add your wrap ingredients and roll, following additional tips below.
• To help “seal” the tortilla, include some form of spread as a base layer (like mayo, cream cheese, nut butter, etc.). Then add your wrap ingredients making sure to leave about one inch of one side of your tortilla free of heavy ingredients. Start rolling on the side with ingredients, so you end the roll-up on the side with spread-only in order to help seal it.
• Once you’ve finished rolling-up your wrap, gently squeeze it with cupped hands, like a sushi chef does with a sushi roll.

More delicious wrap ideas …
In addition to the recipes provided below, the following are more ideas for creating delicious, nutritious wraps/roll-ups …
• BLAT: Spread tortilla with mayo and add bacon, lettuce, avocado and tomato
• Philly Cheese Steak: Spread tortilla with mayo or spicy mustard and add thinly sliced
steak, sautéed onion and some shredded (or thinly sliced) raw cheese
• Crunchy Veggie: Spread tortilla with mayo or cream cheese and add your favorite raw
veggies like shredded carrot, zucchini, spinach, broccoli, cucumber, etc.
• Taco Salad: Spread tortilla with refried beans and/or guacamole; then add chopped lettuce, grated raw cheese and seasoned meat.
• Grilled Chicken Salad
Avocado Egg Salad
Tuna Salad (or Salmon Salad)

Greek Salad Wrap

• 1/2 cup diced grilled chicken
  • 1 large organic romaine lettuce leaf, chopped
  • 5-6 kalamata olives, chopped
  • 3 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
  • 2 tbsp diced organic tomato
  • 2 tbsp diced organic cucumber
  • Homemade Italian dressing
  • 1 whole grain or GF tortilla

1. In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and add a drizzle of homemade Italian dressing, if desired.
  2. Spread a thin layer of mayo evenly across tortilla.
  3. Add Greek salad ingredients and roll up. (Definitely one of my favorite lunch wraps!)

Banana Nut Butter Roll-Up

Banana Nut Butter Roll-Up

• 1/2 large organic banana, sliced thinly
  • 2 tbsp of your favorite nut butter
  • 1 tbsp raw honey
  • 1 whole grain or GF tortilla

1. In a small bowl, combine nut butter and honey.
  2. Spread evenly across tortilla.
  3. Add sliced banana and roll up.

Turkey Spinach Wrap

Turkey Spinach Wrap

• 3-5 thinly sliced nitrate-free turkey slices
  • Fresh spinach leaves
  • 3 tbsp grated raw cheese
  • 1 whole grain or GF tortilla

1. Spread a thin layer of mayo evenly across tortilla.
  2. Place spinach leaves evenly across tortilla and sprinkle with cheese.
  3. Top with turkey slices, then roll up.

Strawberry Cream Roll-Up

Strawberry Cream Roll-Up

• 2 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 tsp raw honey
  • 3-4 fresh organic strawberries, finely diced
  • 1 whole grain or GF tortilla

1. In a small bowl, combine cream cheese and honey.
  2. Add diced strawberries and mix until well combined.
  3. Spread evenly across tortilla and roll up. (A delicious sweet, creamy treat!)

Cinnamon Apple Roll-Up

Cinnamon Apple Roll-Up

• 2 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 tsp raw honey
  • 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp finely chopped raisins
  • ¼ cup finely diced organic apple
  • 1 whole grain or GF tortilla

1. In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, honey and cinnamon.
  2. Add diced raisins and apples and mix until well combined.
  3. Spread evenly across tortilla and roll up. (A favorite after-school snack!)

Looking for more great lunch ideas and recipes?
MomablesFinal_wtagBe sure to check out my friend Laura at MOMables for lots of whole food based recipes and ideas for making lunch delicious, nutritious and FUN! (P.S. Laura offers a weekly lunch meal plan subscription program. There is no obligation, but if you opt to sign up via the link here, a small portion of the proceeds helps to support The Nourishing Home at no additional cost to you. Thank you!)

Comments

Too funny, I am also working on a gluten-free wrap post! Great minds think alike! Could I share a couple of your ideas? I like the sweet fruit options, I had a nut butter banana one already, but the strawberry one looks fabulous and you’ve inspired me to think fruit combos!

• Kelly says

Tessa, that’s great you’re planning a GF roll-up post! This is a post I did awhile ago on my FB page and just transferred it over to my new blog. These are some of my kids’ favorite wraps! And I don’t mind if you share the sweet fruit options in your post, I just ask that you credit my post with a link back to this recipe. Email me if you have any questions. So glad you like these! Blessings, Kelly (the nourishing home at gmail dot com)

• Kelly says

Hi, Amy. I don’t have a sprouted spelt tortilla recipe. If you find one that you enjoy, please do let me know and I’ll check it out too! Blessings, Kelly

• Kelly says

Hi, Jan! Thanks for visiting! So nice to meet you! Appreciate you taking time to leave a sweet note! :)

I was so excited when I stumbled upon your post (and the tortilla one!) on Feasting in Fellowship Fridays at Comfy in the Kitchen because I was getting very burnt out on my salads! I typically don’t like sandwich type meals, but wraps may be a great way to do it- and less bread! Thank you!

~Nicole
    workingkansashomemaker.blogspot.com

• Kelly says

Welcome, Nicole! So good to meet you! Thanks for taking the time to leave a kind note! Hope you enjoy these and the tortillas too. Blessings, Kelly :)

Thanks for sharing this. My kids love wraps, but the ones I make are really boring so this has inspired me. One of my sons is on a gluten-free diet so this will be great for that too!

• Kelly says

Thanks, Sharla, for taking a minute to leave a note – truly appreciate hearing from you! So glad these have given you some new ideas! Blessings, Kelly

4. Marty says

Can you tell me about how thick you slice each pinwheel, or conversely, how many pinwheels you get per tortilla?

I can’t wait to try these but need to figure out how many I will need to prep to feed my crowd of 8.

Thank you!

• Kelly says

Hi, Marty! I usually can get about 8 rolls approximately one-inch thick, using a 10″ tortilla. Depends on appetites, but I usually do one tortilla for older kids and adults and half (4-5 pieces) for younger kiddos. Hope this helps! Blessings, Kelly :)

5. Mrs. Mom of 6 says

What kind of tortillas are you using? I can’t find any that don’t have preservatives, and all manner of other strange ingredients, but I LOVE tortillas and want to use them. I tried the expensive sprouted tortillas, but they just don’t roll right.

• Kelly says

Hi, Meg! I know what you mean about not wanting to have all the undesirable ingredients. That’s why, I try to always make my own tortillas (I say “try,” because sometimes I do purchase whole spelt tortillas from my local whole food type store. For my recipe, click on the link in the post called “homemade soaked tortillas.” I’ve also provided links to a couple of other tortilla recipes, for those who are GF. Blessings, Kelly :)

6. Sandra says

Where can I find nitrate free turkey slices without cooking the turkey myself? My kids LOVE these wraps. They have really added interest and nutrition to their lunches – and ease for me.

7. Shelah says

Hello, Thanks for the meal plan this week. I noticed the banana nut rollup is planned for Thursday lunch, but there are no bananas on the shopping list? Is it something else that is planned for Thursday or should I Just add bananas to my list? I just don’t want to have to get extra items is not necessary. Thanks!

Hi, Shelah. The meal plan shopping list only covers the items need for dinner as noted on the meal plan. Since the majority follow just the dinner portion of the plan and use the lunch and breakfast for ideas, I set it up so the shopping list only lists what is needed to make each dinner featured for the week. I have considered creating a separate shopping list that covers all meals on the meal plan, but since it takes so much time to do this in a nice format, I may wait and develop a more extensive format in the future and create a membership program. We’ll have to see what the Lord has in store. :) Blessings, Kelly

8. Irene says

Hello Kelly, thank you ao much for taking the time to make this available to us. I watched your video and your approach makes me know that yes, I can do this. I have so often felt overwhelmed in meal planning.

I like the ZipList for your recipe site as well. Can I add my own recipes to this? Or is it only exclusive to the recipes you post.

I’m excited about planning ahead now. I’m going into my second year homeschooling three kids seven and younger, and cooking is a great pendulum that swings from inspired to “here, have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.”

Blessings,
    Irene

Thanks, Irene! Appreciate your kind words and happy to hear you’re finding the recipes and meal plans helpful! Yes, you can create a recipe box in ZipList and add recipes from all over the internet to it. You can learn more about how to do that at ZipList. I do am not an affiliate of ZipList, I just like their plug-in that allows me to set up my recipes so it’s easy for folks to print them or save them in an easy to access Recipe Box, if they like ZipList. Blessings, Kelly

Trackbacks