Having a well-stocked and organized pantry is a great way to stay on track with your healthy eating goals, and keep your budget in check too! That’s because being able to quickly identify what’s in your pantry will help you to avoid buying in excess. And we all know, this not only wastes space, but usually results in wasted money too when we have to toss out items that expire due to them getting “lost in the disorganized crowd.”
Another benefit of a well-organized pantry is that it helps save time by making it so much easier to quickly locate items needed for a recipe. And it’s especially easy to find what you’re looking for when your food staples are stored in glass, which is why I personally use and recommend the quality glass storage products at MightyNest. Plus I appreciate their generous spirit!
Did you know that MightyNest donates 15% from every order to the school of your choice. Isn’t that awesome! Not only are they passionate about helping families live healthier, they’re also committed to helping our local schools too!
My Favorite Tips & Tricks to Makeover Any Pantry!
Okay, before I share my favorite pantry makeover tips and tricks, I have to be honest! Lest you think my pantry is always an organizational masterpiece, let me show you what it looked like before I decided enough is enough already … it’s time for some serious spring cleaning and reorganization!
Yikes! Just look at that jumbled mess (embarrassed blushing happening here)! It’s no wonder I couldn’t find anything! Sadly, I discovered that I had more than one bag of the same kind of dried fruits open; over a dozen cans of coconut milk spread out in various locations; and unfortunately I had to toss several bags of nuts that were stale from not being properly sealed. Boo, I hate wasting food!
If you can relate to my disorganized dilemma above, I want to encourage you that it only takes a little bit of time and a few handy storage containers to transform your pantry into a well-organized and well-stocked haven of real foods.
Below are the beautiful results (can you hear me breathing a sigh of relief) after I spent a little time reorganizing my pantry using some of my favorites glass food storage containers from MightyNest.
So what’s the best way to get started with your own pantry makeover?
1) First, pull out everything in your pantry and take inventory. Be sure to toss out anything that’s expired. (P.S. This is also a good time to get rid of those secret stashes of unhealthy foods – just sayin’!)
2) Transfer packaged foods such as nuts, flours, dried fruits, shredded coconut, chocolate chips, etc. into airtight storage containers to ensure freshness and also maximize storage space in your pantry.
When it comes to food storage, nothing beats glass storage containers! They’re the perfect eco-friendly solution because they are …
- Safe – glass doesn’t leach harmful chemicals.
- Easy to clean – glass is nonporous so food particles, oils and odors are easily washed away.
- Cost effective – glass does not discolor or trap odors, so it can be used over and over again for safe food storage.
- Versatile – glass food containers come in a variety of sizes and shapes making it easy to find a safe solution for all of your food storage needs.
As you can see, I absolutely adore Kilner jars for storing grain-free flour. They have a nice wide-mouth top, which makes it easy to scoop out what you need. Best of all, their super-tight seal and lock-down clip ensures that ingredients are kept airtight, which is especially important for keeping flour fresh.
Speaking of which, I recommend storing about a 1-2 week supply of grain-free flour in your pantry so you have it on hand ready to go. The remainder should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer. It’s important that your flour is room temperature before using it for baking, as cold flour can negatively impact the outcome of baking recipes.
When it comes to storing nuts, dried fruits, shredded coconut, chocolate chips and other real food pantry staples, I highly recommend removing them from their packages and storing them in a glass container fitted with an airtight lid.
I’ve found that most foods stay fresher, and therefore last much longer when stored in glass. Simax glass containers are one of my favorites because they’re lightweight and have an easy-on, easy-off lid. Plus, they’re vertical so they make use of height, rather than taking up valuable “floor space” in your pantry.
3) Reorganize with Rhyme & Reason. To make it easier to quickly locate items in your pantry, I recommend grouping pantry items by type, such as baking staples, canned goods, nuts, condiments, etc. By placing items together by category, it will make it much easier to keep your pantry orderly and quickly find what you’re looking for.
4) Small pantry? Consider using your countertops. It not only saves space in your pantry, but it’s also convenient to relocate the staples that you use most often to your kitchen countertops. You may also wish to invest in a raised shelf since they make use of vertical space, which will allow you to store more items in a small area on your counter.
5) No pantry? No problem! Some kitchens don’t have pantries. If that’s your challenge, be encouraged. You can still use the tips above to organize your cabinet space and countertops to make the most efficient use of the space you have available. You may also want to shop yard sales for a kitchen buffet that can be used to free-up extra cabinet space for use as a pantry.
P.S. I don’t use fancy stickers to label my glass storage containers. They make it difficult to wash since the labels peel off and leave a sticky residue. Instead, I use a sharpie. That’s right. It’s simple, cost-effective and can easily be removed from glass with just a touch of lemon essential oil.
What are your favorite ways to keep your pantry well organized? Please share your tips & tricks in the comments below!
Please Note: This giveaway ended on April 7, 2015. Congrats to Mary C! Our lucky giveaway winner! Yep, this awesome giveaway was sponsored by Mighty Nest. But remember y’all, I only share my honest opinions about the products and brands that I personally use and enjoy!