Apple-Carrot (& cabbage) Coleslaw

Coleslaw-platter

If your kids (and/or spouse) aren’t big fans of raw cabbage, this new twist on coleslaw may help them to actually enjoy it! That’s because the shredded cabbage is tempered with some sweet additions.

I got the idea of using julienne apples combined with a lightly sweet and creamy poppy dressing from Wolfgang Puck. I fine-tuned the recipe by using cultured real food ingredients to give this sweet-n-tangy slaw a delicious probiotic boost in every bite!

Not sure how to shred a cabbage? This quick 40-second “how to cut cabbage clip” shows you just how fast and easy it is to shred a cabbage, lest you’re tempted to pay more for a bag of pre-shredded cabbage. (Place any leftover cabbage in an airtight container in your frig for use in tacos, soups, salads and more.) In fact, once you’ve mastered coleslaw, maybe you’ll be up for a new adventure … making your own cultured sauerkraut.

mise-en-place-coleslaw

Remember to utilize “mise en place” for quicker, easier and more successful results!

coleslaw2

Apple-Carrot (& cabbage) Coleslaw (GF)

Yield: 8-10 servings

Apple-Carrot (& cabbage) Coleslaw (GF)

The Slaw
  • 1 small organic cabbage, finely shredded (I use half of a red and half of a green)
  • 2 medium organic Fuji apples, peeled, cored, julienne
  • 2 medium organic carrots, peeled, julienne
  • 1/4 cup diced red onion
  • 2 tbsp finely minced fresh organic parsley
  • The Dressing
  • 1/4 cup plain organic whole milk yogurt
  • 1/4 cup mayo (cultured is best)
  • 2 tbsp pure raw honey
  • 1 1/2 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 tbsp poppy seeds
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Prepare the Slaw
  1. Shred the cabbage, rinse and dry thoroughly. (I like to use a salad spinner for this task, but you can also place the drained cabbage on a kitchen towel and pat off excess moisture.) Place in a large bowl; set aside.
  2. Julienne the apples and carrots, and finely dice the onion and fresh parsley. Add to bowl of shredded cabbage.
  3. Prepare the poppy dressing as noted below. Then drizzle the dressing over the slaw and toss well to combine.
  4. Serve immediately, or store in frig until ready to serve. Just be sure to toss the coleslaw again, prior to serving, to evenly distribute the dressing. (I prefer to serve this coleslaw within a couple of hours of making it, as it becomes less crisp as time passes. Although, I never pass up eating it the next day – it’s especially good as a sandwich topping.)
  5. How to Prepare the Dressing
  6. In a small bowl, whisk all the ingredients together until well blended. Add to the coleslaw as directed above.

Notes

Time-Saving Tip: Cut the cabbage up to three days prior and store in an airtight container in your frig until you’re ready to make the slaw. You can also make the dressing 2-3 days prior. In addition, you can julienne the carrots ahead of time, just be sure to store them in an airtight container so they don’t dry out. However, I don’t recommend cutting the apples ahead of time, as browning will occur.

Comments

• Kelly says

Thanks, Caralyn! I’m glad you found me too! Very nice to meet you! I appreciate you taking time to leave a sweet note! Blessings, Kelly :)

• Kelly says

Thanks so much, Courtney! I adore your Mexican Haystacks! I can’t wait to give them a try! So glad we can be friends! Blessings, Kelly

Beautiful pictures of your mise en place! I’ve been looking for ways to incorporate more cabbage, thanks for the recipe. I love using my food processor to shred cabbage, I think I’ll use it to shred the carrots too. The leftover cabbage would make great fish tacos later in the week….mmmmmm. :)

• Kelly says

Hi, Lee. Thanks so much for your kind words! I was thrilled to find this idea through Wolfgang Puck, because I absolutely LOVE coleslaw, but my family doesn’t share my affection for it. So when I saw this idea for using julienne apples, I thought I might have a shot at getting them on board, especially if I changed the dressing too (so it wasn’t so mayo-y). LOL! It worked! I make it with more apples and carrots for them, which seems to do the trick! I hope you all enjoy it too! Blessings, Kelly :)

This recipe looks so fresh and tasty. We have a lot of cabbage heads producing in the garden this year, both green and purple. This will be a great recipe to try out! I will have to substitute coconut yogurt and vegan mayo, but everything else is pretty much gluten and allergy free ☺ I would love to invite you to share in our recipe hop this week. It will be open until midnight Wed. and is a weekly event beginning on Sunday at 7pm. I sure hope to see you there ☺ Oh, and I’m visiting from the Homestead hop.

• Kelly says

Thanks, Mary! I popped over and shared my fruit crepes recipe at your blog hop! As far as this one goes, you could use all mayo for it, if you’d like. I just like the combo of the mayo and yogurt, because it’s less mayo-y that way. LOL! Great to meet you! Thanks for stopping by and being so encouraging and welcoming! Blessings, Kelly :)

• Kelly says

Thanks again for the shout-out on the cherry caprese! I am loving your summer salad hop! So much fun! Lots of blessings, Kelly

3. Samantha says

Soooo delicious and simple and fresh! I didn’t bother to peel the apples but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Can’t wait to eat it tonight alongside the amazing turkey sloppy joes! Following your meal plans has been easy and has made our whole family happy and healthier. God bless you for sharing all your awesome recipes :)

Thanks again. You’re sweet words of encouragement are so appreciated! I am so happy you’re finding this site (recipes) helpful to you and your family. Many blessings, Kelly :)

This sounds easy to do! I love salads but I always worry about the preparation which is often tedious. Like your ideas here of preparing the ingredients in advance. Might as well try this. :)

Thanks, Krissa! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Prepping the ingredients ahead really makes putting it together so much easier! (It’s a lot of chopping – or even easier use a food processor with shredding attachment). Lots of blessings to you, Kelly :)

5. Carol says

Kelly, today I made the last dinner recipe of your meal plan that I started last week. Everything has been delicious and my husband is grateful for having healthier home-cooked meals (rather than our go to boxed Mac n cheese, hamburger helper, or rice, meat and asparagus.) He’s been trying a lot more variety and I’ve been getting the variety I’ve always craved. Since it’s just the 2 of us and a toddler who barely eats, we’ve been having lots of leftovers, which means I think I could stretch 1 meal plan to 2 weeks. For this recipe, I ran out of carrots (used them for your bone broth last night) but had some sweet baby peppers that were going to waste in my fridge. I julienned those and tossed them in and it still turned out great! The best part, as I was chopping the ingredients, my son helped himself to about half an apple and an entire mini bell pepper! (I used to give him pieces and he’d chew it, then spit it out.) I think seeing us eat all this healthy stuff is helping him expand his horizons as well! Thanks for all the great recipes and tips!

That’s awesome, Carol! I’m so happy to hear that you and your family are enjoying the meal plans! I appreciate you taking the time to leave a kind note. Great idea about using what you have on hand! Love it! :)

Trackbacks