When it comes to comfort food, nothing says nourishing like a nice hot bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup made with love. The base of this recipe is a wonderful, rich homemade chicken stock made with organic chicken and lots of delicious vegetables and seasonings. To create the adorable carrot hearts, check out this fun Heart-Shaped Carrots Tutorial.
For another wonderful chicken soup recipe that’s perfect for cooking with your kids, be sure to try my family-favorite Stone Soup – a deliciously nutritious and fun way to make memories to last a lifetime!
- 6 cups of homemade stovetop chicken stock or homemade slow cooker chicken stock
- 2 cups of shredded cooked chicken (or turkey)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 stalks organic celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 leek, halved and sliced finely, white and pale green parts only
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp fresh organic parsley, finely chopped
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 2 cups of uncooked GF noodles, or 4 cups of zucchini noodles, about 3-4 medium zucchini (see photo of Chicken Zoodle Soup below)
- In a stockpot over medium heat, add olive oil, celery, carrots and leek. Sauté until veggies start to soften.
- Add stock, bay leaves and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Allow to simmer about 5 minutes.
- Then add shredded chicken and noodles of your choice, if using. Turn up heat a bit to bring soup to a gentle boil and cook until noodles reach desired consistency.
- Turn off heat and remove bay leaves. Add fresh parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
A favorite variation on this delicious recipe is to toss in some sliced mushrooms during the veggie sautéing process. Then add about 4 cups of zoodles (zucchini noodles) at the end of the cooking process and allow them to soften to desired texture. Makes the perfect grain-free soup made with love!