Whipped coconut cream is the perfect replacement for dairy-based whipped toppings, since it’s just as smooth and light. Plus, it takes just minutes to whip up and adds a wonderful touch of creamy sweetness to your favorite grain-free, dairy-free desserts and beverages.
The secret to getting fluffy whipped coconut cream is making sure to use just the thick solid layer of coconut cream that rises to the top of a can of pure coconut milk when its chilled completely. Of course, you can also use chilled pure coconut cream, if you’d prefer.
A little trick to more easily scoop out the cream from a can of chilled coconut milk is to open the can from the bottom. You can then pour off the coconut water and save it for another use (like smoothies). Then, simply spoon the remaining coconut cream into a pre-chilled mixing bowl and whip it into a delightfully smooth and creamy treat by following the recipe below. So easy and delicious!
- 2 cans (13.5-ounce) pure coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- 1-2 tsp honey (omit for Whole30)
- Place a large mixing bowl and the beaters (or whisk attachment) into the freezer for 2–3 minutes to thoroughly chill.
- Remove the cold coconut cream from the 2 cans of cold coconut milk and place into the chilled mixing bowl. An easy way to do this is to open the cans from the bottom and carefully pour off the coconut water into a small mason jar for another use. This makes it easier to scoop out just the coconut cream. Or you can use pure coconut cream instead, which does not require removing the coconut water.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or an electric mixer, mix at high speed approximately 2–3 minutes, until fluffy and creamy.
- Add the honey, if using, and continue to mix until the coconut cream is light and fluffy (about 1–2 minutes), scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Use immediately, or refrigerate for up to 2 days. Just be sure to whip cold coconut cream for a minute or so to ensure that it’s light and fluffy.
It’s a good idea to keep a couple of cans of coconut milk (or pure coconut cream) in your refrigerator so you always have it on hand for recipes such as this one.
My new cookbook is here! With more than 100 irresistible recipes, Everyday Grain-Free Baking teaches you how easy it is to create grain-free, dairy-free versions of all your family’s favorite baked goods.
From breads, biscuits and muffins to savory snacks and decadent treats, you’ll find step-by-step instructions, beautiful color photographs and helpful tips & tidbits to make all of your GF baking adventures a delicious success!
[…] simply top these beautiful biscuits with heaping spoonfuls of juicy strawberries and a dollop of homemade whipped coconut cream for a wholesome sweet treat that’s certain to bring a smile to everyone’s […]