Make any day a happy day for Dad with this deliciously tender and juicy grilled skirt steak! It’s sweet-n-tangy flavor comes from an easy-to-make balsamic marinade with TWO OPTIONS – you can opt to use my slightly sweet Balsamic-Apricot marinade -OR- use my tangy Whole30-compliant Balsamic Lime Marinade. Either option is terrific!
This flavorful steak is delicious served with garlicky mashed potatoes and your favorite green veggie. Got leftovers? Dice the steak and add it to a quick and easy veggie zoodle stir fry.
And whether you’re a novice, or veteran griller, be sure to check out my Top 10 Best Grilling Tips for some secrets of success that are certain to take your grilled foods to a whole new level of excellence!
- 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak, trimmed and cut into smaller fillets
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 4 limes)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar (no sugar added)
- 2 scallions, finely diced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger (or 1 tbsp finely minced fresh ginger)
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp red-pepper flakes (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon homemade Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons all-fruit apricot preserves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- In a 9x13-inch baking dish (or gallon-size ziplock bag). Add the marinade ingredients of your choice and combine well (do not add the steak).
- Cut the skirt steak into 3-4 fillets and place in marinade, making sure both sides are well coated. Marinate steak for at least 30 minutes at room temperature, or up to 10-12 hours in the refrigerator.
- The key to juicy, tender meat is to bring it to room temperature prior to cooking. So be sure to take the marinated steak out of the frig about 30-45 minutes prior to grilling.
- When ready to grill, preheat grill on high heat. Remove the steaks from their marinade, making sure to shake off excess marinade.
- Grill steak over high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side for medium/medium rare depending on the size and thickness.
- Remove steaks from grill; cover with foil, and allow to rest for 3-5 minutes. Thinly slice skirt steak against the grain. Serve with your favorite sides.
Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy says
That marinade sounds wonderfully flavorful! i bet it would go great with some hearty veggies! thanks for sharing!
Mmm! Good thinking, Caralyn! 🙂
I just wanted to tell you how much I loved this recipe. I used bison for iron content and it can often be dry and not as flavorful, but this marinade recipe made it fabulous. My husband and two hopelessly picky boys ate it all! Thank you!
That’s wonderful, Amy! Thank you so much for sharing. So glad you all enjoyed this marinade. Appreciate you taking the time to leave a kind note. Many blessings, Kelly 🙂
Incredible!! I’m not a huge beef eater and never have seconds. But I did with this. My husband said he’d marry me two more times if I kept making this. Followed exactly.
Thank you, Charlotte! So happy to hear you and your husband enjoyed the recipe. 🙂 I appreciate you taking the time to leave a kind note! I took a peek at your blog and it looks awesome! 🙂