These scrumptious little grain-free, sugar-free cookies are certainly not flavor-free! But they are guilt-free – that’s because their sweetness comes from fiber-rich dates and their crunch from walnuts packed with omega-3s. These are so delicious, you may want to make a double batch!
And, they are so easy to make! Just add the ingredients to your food processor. This recipe comes from Delicious Living magazine – I simply substituted with coconut oil for increased nutrition and flavor!
Cinnamon-Walnut Buttons (GF)
- 2 cups of walnut pieces
- 10 whole dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place walnuts and dates in food processor and pulse until coarsely ground.
- Then pulse in cinnamon, salt, oil and vanilla.
- Continue to pulse until mixture begins to form a ball, as shown in photo above.
- Scoop dough, one tablespoon at a time, and using your hands, form into tightly-packed dough-balls. (If you do not use your hands to press and roll into little dough balls, the cookies will not hold together and will come out crumbly.)
- Gently flatten dough balls slightly using a fork to make a decorative criss-cross pattern. (If fork gets sticky with dough, simply wet lightly.)
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until firm. Cool completely on baking sheet. (Original recipe from Delicious Living magazine.)
Gwen Belanger says
My kiddos, YES, my kiddos made these today. They taste really good so They’ll be in lunchboxes often this week. What a wonderful way to get omegas in. Cookies without flour? awesome!
I can’t take credit for this one, it’s a recipe I saw in Delicious magazine that I only slightly modified. They are awesome! And you’re so right … a great way to get those Omegas in without flour or SUGAR!!! 🙂
oooo, I wonder how these would work in the dehydrator? That would preserve the Omega 3’s.
I bet these would work well in a dehydrator. Great idea, Nikki! 🙂