This easy citrus salad makes a delightful summer side dish. With the sweet and tangy combination of fresh grapefruit and oranges, it’s an especially refreshing accompaniment to the bold flavors of barbecue.
How to Section Citrus Fruit
If you’re new to sectioning citrus, it’s really a very simple process. I’m happy to show you how. Just be sure to use a sharp chef’s knife. A good quality knife makes all the difference in making tasks like chopping, dicing and mincing – or in this case sectioning citrus – a breeze!
Step One: Trim Ends of Citrus Fruit
Using a sharp chef’s knife, carefully trim the ends off of the citrus fruit.
(Not shown in the photo: If you use citrus zest in various recipes, a great money- and time-saving tip is to zest the fruit before you trim and section it. Place the zest into an airtight freezer-safe container and store in the freezer for future use.)
Step Two: Trim Peel from Citrus Fruit
Place the citrus fruit on its now flat bottom.
Then, carefully trim the peel from the fruit by following the natural curve of the fruit.
Be sure to start at the top and slightly angle your knife so you’re trimming only the peel, sparing as much of the fruit as possible.
Step Three: Section the Fruit
Once the peel is removed, you can switch to a sharp pairing knife, if preferred. Then carefully cut each section of the citrus fruit out so that no membrane remains. Citrus segments are not only wonderful for making gorgeous fruit salads, but can also be used to create delicious yogurt parfaits and many other healthy treats.
(P.S. Rather than tossing out the remaining citrus membranes, save them for juicing or in smoothies.)
P.S. Got leftovers? Simply toss any leftover citrus salad with your favorite fresh mesculn greens for a beautiful summer salad. Looking for the perfect BBQ sauce? Check out my tips for foolproof BBQ chicken.
- 1 large ruby red grapefruit
- 1 large tangerine
- 1 large navel orange
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp lime zest
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp honey
- Pinch of sea salt
- Peel and section the grapefruit, tangerine and orange. (If you’re new to sectioning citrus fruit, see photo tutorial above.)
- Place citrus segments, red onion and cilantro into a large bowl.
- In a small a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime zest, lime juice, honey and salt.
- Pour the lime oil mixture over the citrus mixture and gently toss to combine.
- Serve with Foolproof BBQ Chicken, or place on top of a bed of mesclun greens for a delicious summer salad!
Oh this looks so refreshingly appetizing! What a terrific idea to add red onions and cilantro! I will be making this soon.
Thanks so much, Karen! Hope you enjoy it too! 🙂