Little Lemon Custard Cups (GF)

These creamy little lemon custards are like a drop of delicious sunshine in a cup – the perfect way to end a meal on a sweet note without feeling like you’ve overindulged.

Layering the ingredients in 4oz wide-mouth mason jars tied with pieces of dainty gingham ribbon add to the charm of this delightful dessert. It also makes it the perfect showpiece for summertime brunches, bridal and baby showers, or other fun occasions!

Little Lemon Custard Cups (GF)

Yield: approx. 8 half-cup servings

Little Lemon Custard Cups (GF)

• 6 large egg yolks, room temperature (pastured eggs are best)
  • 1/2 cup pure honey (I prefer sage honey due to its mild flavor)
  • 1/3 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice (about 2 Meyer lemons)
  • 2 tbsp filtered water
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup butter, cold, cut into pieces
  • 2 cups fresh whipped cream
  • Your favorite fresh organic berries (raspberries are especially delicious with lemon!)

1. In a double boiler, or in a heat-safe glass bowl resting above a pot of gently simmering (not boiling) water, whisk together the egg yolks, honey, lemon juice, water, lemon zest and vanilla until well blended.
  2. Slowly add the butter, 2-3 pieces at a time, while constantly whisking. Add more pieces as the previous ones melt.
  3. After all of the butter pieces are melted and incorporated, cook for an additional 15-18 minutes, stirring just occasionally, until it thickens like a thin pudding. Then, place the lemon curd in the refrigerator to cool completely (about 2-3 hours). (Please note: You can make the lemon curd one day in advance for easier final prep.)
  4. Once lemon curd is chilled, use a large rubber spatula to gentle fold in 1 3/4 cups of fresh whipped cream to create a creamy lemon custard. Reserve the remaining 1/4 cup of whipped cream for garnish.
  5. There are two fun options for serving: Either layer the bottom of 4oz serving cups (or ramekins) with fresh berries and top with the lemon custard, followed by a dollop of fresh whipped cream ...
  6. Or create beautiful little lemon berry trifles by layering the ingredients in 4oz wide-mouth mason jars tied with pieces of dainty gingham ribbon. Absolutely delightful!

P.S. If you’re on Pinterest, I’d love to be pin-pals with you! It’s so much fun sharing healthy delicious recipes! Blessings, Kelly

This recipe was shared at: Homestead Barn Hop, Make Your Own MondayBetter Mom Mondays, Monday Mania, Made from Scratch Mondays, I Gotta Try That, Modest Mondays, Welcome Home MondaysFat Tuesdays, Titus 2sdaysTitus Tuesdays Link-Up, Domestically Divine, Living Well Wednesdays, Allergy-Free Wednesdays, Gluten-Free WednesdaysHomemaking Link-Up, Creative at Home Wednesdays,

Comments

Looks super yummy! I love anything with meyer lemons! Also I bought a case of those 1/2 pint wide mouthed jars on my last azure order. I have been looking for something fun to make in them! Thanks for the inspiration Kelly!!!! :)

• Kelly says

Hi, Renee! Thanks for your kind words. There are so many cute little desserts that can go into those 1/2 pint jars! I hope you have fun with them! Blessings, Kelly

This looks so delicious, but I’ll have to avoid it until Michaela beats her egg allergy. Unless there is a substitute that I could use? Thanks for sharing with us in our recipe hop this week!

• Kelly says

Unfortunately, lemon curd requires egg yolks. I wonder if you could google for a coconut milk lemon pudding? I bet that would be delicious with fresh fruit! Lots of blessings, Kelly :)

• Jennifer says

When my son had an egg allergy, he was only allergic to the protein which is found in the white of the egg. I was able to rinse the yolks in cold water and use them without a reaction. Wonder if this could work for you?

• Kelly says

Thanks so much, Marcie! I am a stickler when it comes to a real food lifestyle, so as much as I appreciate your kindness, I don’t visit OG. My site is dedicated to unrefined, unprocessed whole foods. It’s not because I am being an elitist, but because I’ve experienced a tremendous health transformation from adopting a real food lifestyle. Check out my About page for details. Thanks again! Lots of blessings, Kelly :)

This looks very good, and refreshing with the summer heat. I love the simple touches you put with the ribbon and jar :)

Nicole, Working Kansas Homemaker (.com)

• Kelly says

Thanks, Nicole! I appreciate your kind words of encouragement and sharing your blog site. I’ll have to pop over for a visit! Blessings, Kelly :)

• Kelly says

P.S. I updated the recipe tonight to include your adorable “featured” logo and linked it to your site! I hope it sends lots of new friends your way! Blessings and gratitude, Kelly :)

4. Cindy says

This sounds really yummy and I am planning to make it. However what I like best is your “print” feature. So many blogs have not done that for their recipes and often it is difficult to print something. Thank you so much.

• Kelly says

You are so welcome, Cindy! I am so glad you find this site helpful to you! That was certainly my goal in creating it! Any suggestions for making it even easier to use are always welcome as well! Lots of blessings, Kelly :)

• Kelly says

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a kind note! Welcome, so glad you’re here! Blessings, Kelly :)

Hey there! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this article to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!

• Kelly says

Thank you, Cupcake Picks. Are you talking about my lemon custard recipe or another article on my site? Thanks so much for your kind words! Lots of blessings to you, Kelly :)