One of my family’s favorite Christmas traditions is to make homemade gifts in a jar. And the wonderful thing is, they’re as much fun to make together, as they are to give to others! Simply layer the ingredients of a favorite recipe in a jar, then add a festive ribbon and tag, and there you have it – a thoughtful gift made with love.
There are certainly a ton of gifts-in-a-jar recipes out there, but unfortunately, many rely on unhealthy ingredients. So I thought it would be fun to share just a few of my favorites with the hope that this may help you to create some healthy homemade gifts of your own! And certainly, if you have some whole food based gift-jar recipes, please share a link to them in the comments below.
My Top 6 Favorite Gifts-in-Jar Ideas
1. Pumpkin Pie Muffins Mix in a Jar – A much requested favorite, my GF pumpkin muffin recipe makes a beautiful and tasty gift in a jar!
2. Healthy Homemade Granola Gifts-in-a-Jar – whether it’s my soaked oat granola or grain-free granola – the delicious versatility of homemade granola makes it a thoughtful and welcomed gift!
3. Jumbleberry Jam in a Jar – You can use any whole food jam recipe to create a delicious holiday gift. I especially love to give my family’s favorite – Jumbleberry Jam – it’s secret ingredient allows the jam to set without the use of pectin powders!
4. Slow Cooker Apple Butter in a Jar – This traditional fall-inspired spread is so easy to make! And it’s so delicious – your friends and family will love it!
5. Fruit-in-Nut Bars in a Jar – These mock KIND Fruit-n-Nut Bars have been one of the most popular recipes I’ve posted this year. I modified the recipe a bit so it makes a beautiful and delicious gift-in-a-jar.
6. Raw Cookie Dough Bites Mix in a Jar – My popular Raw Cookie Dough Bites recipe also works beautifully as a gift in a jar. Bet you can’t eat just one!
BONUS: Looking for even more great grain-free gift in a jar ideas? Check out “The Best Homemade Holiday Gifts-in-a-Jar” – my special guest post at Keeper of the Home.
Tips for Creating Your Own Homemade Gifts from the Heart!
When thinking about which of your favorite recipes will work well as a gift-in-the-jar, it’s important to consider the following:
• Will the recipe ingredients fit in a standard size mason jar, such as a half-pint, pint or quart?
• How easy is the recipe to assemble? Are the additional items needed to complete the recipe standard ingredients that most people have on hand?
• How will you include instructions for making the recipe? (My preferred option is to include the instructions inside a card and place the card and gift jar into a recycled gift bag.)
• What are the storage requirements for the gift jar – should it be refrigerated or stored at room temp? And for how long? (Be sure these are explained to the recipient.)
I hope these ideas inspire you to create some healthy homemade holiday gifts of your own! Wishing you and your family many blessings for a joyful and merry CHRISTmas!
Joyfully Serving Him, Kelly